March 3, 2009 Leave a comment
Dining out can be every dieter’s dilemma of the day.
How do you keep up with the diet when the restaurant only serves gourmet platters and over-the-top desserts? As tempting as it may be to just order the daily special and declare it is not a diet day, there are ways to scale back and keep those diet resolutions.
If you’re heading out to lunch with the boss or enjoying dinner at your favorite family restaurant, don’t sabotage your healthy diet, instead use these tips:
1. Start with soup. A vegetable broth-based soup is a simple way to fill up on fewer calories and enjoy a great meal. Hot soup is a nourishing mini-meal in itself and can fill you up, fast. Start with a bowl of hearty soup then follow it with light lunch fare for a well-balanced, satisfying meal.
2. Eat protein first. Whether you’ve ordered grilled chicken or roast turkey, chow down on the lean proteins first to prevent a post-meal energy slump. Protein eaten on an empty stomach will keep your energy levels steady and may even reduce your appetite – this makes it much easier to get through the afternoon without snacking on extra treats.
3. Dressing on the side. Even the low-fat dressing you see on the menu can have up to 15 grams of fat per serving, and most of it is probably unsaturated. Steer clear of this diet saboteur by ordering dressing on the side so you can dip your veggies slightly in the concoction for a little flavor. Or you can order safe dressing like balsamic vinaigrette or lemon juice and olive oil for a healthy splash of flavor.
4. Fall in love with red. From soups to pasta sauces, stick with tomato-based dishes to scale back on fat and calories. Marinara sauce and tomato broths are a much healthier choice than the rich and creamy sauces used for clam chowders, Fettuccine Alfredo and even pizza toppings.
5. Enjoy fresh fruit for dessert. Restaurants often serve fresh fruit cups or fruit sides on the children’s menu but may also offer a small bowl for dessert. Enjoy some fresh fruit to curb that sweet tooth and skip the rich dessert platter to save a few hundred calories from your daily calorie log. If you must have something from the dessert menu, consider ordering it ‘to go’ to store in a cooler orand enjoy it in small bites the rest of the day or week.
Chennai City: Restaurant Directory